Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tales of Cochabamba, Part I

I left from my house on Friday, Oct. 16. I Arrived in Miami on Saturday Oct. 17. We stayed in a hotel overnight, because our flight was delayed 24 hours. We enjoyed some time with our family there, then prepared to leave.
On Sunday October 18 at 10:30pm, we departed from Miami. We prayed over our flight, and even small, seemingly insignificant details. For example, my Grandma and I really wanted to have an entire row to ourselves, since we would be there for about 6 hours, and we wanted space so we could sleep comfortably. No one came, and it was as we prayed. God cares for us more than we know, and nothing is small to Him!
We arrived in Cochabamba on Monday morning October 19.
Some of our family was there to pick us up, and I was very pleased to meet them!
None of our checked suitcases arrived for a couple of days, but at least our carry-ons arrived!
When I arrived to the house, I started to feel a terrible headache. They all said it was from the altitude difference, and gave me Coca tea, which helps ones body adjust to altitude change. (Disclaimer: It is not cocaine.) I slept for a few hours to help with the headache and recover from the long trip, and then had some chicken and rice soup. The tea, sleep, and soup all made me feel much better.
That evening, more of the family came to see us. They even brought flowers! This was my first time meeting everyone, except my family that had come to the airport that morning.
I went with my Tia Carmen to pick up her son, Ignacio from his University. This was the cousin that I had heard loved and sang opera. I honestly thought this was too good to be true. But as I talked to him, I found that he knew much about opera, and really loved it. How wonderful to find a kindred spirit!!!

On Wednesday, our suitcases arrived! I went to Tio Luis' house and met Edgar, Mariana's fiance, as well as Tia Carmen's Mom. Wed. evening, I went to dance class for the first time. The Studio was called Melo Tomsich-danza contemporanea.

Thursday
We picked Tio Eduardo up from the airport. It was great to see the siblings reunited!
Then, I spent the afternoon with Ignacio. We went to an animal and bug museum, then to the house of Simon I. Patino. This house was really a mansion, almost exactly like Mr. Darcy's house in the newest version of Pride and Prejudice. It was surrounded by lovely gardens, and even an amphitheater. This house has no one living in it, but it is used for the arts performances, i.e. dance, music, movies, etc.
Then, I met Lu, Ignacio's girlfriend. We went to the matadero, (aka mARTadero), altogether.
The Matadero is the place where cows are killed, but this place has been turned into an art exhibit. We watched a play, then went in the art exhibit.
Lu had to leave after that, so she dropped us off at Ignacio's favorite cafe. Then we went to his favorite movie store. (lol, he has many "favorites".)
Then, we went to the fotocopia store and made a copy of the duet that we were to sing at Mariana and Edgar's wedding, called, "Pur Ti Miro". We took a bus to Ignacio's house, and practiced the song several times. Then, we called a taxi to take us to Tia Mari's house.
While we were waiting, I sang a cadenza saying "Sarco", the name of the taxi company. As soon as I finished, the taxi pulled up. (It worked!) We continued practicing in the taxi and as we walked. The speeding taxi driver slowed down as we sang-I think he liked it! We made a joke that we would sing instead of pay for the taxi ride. I was so happy to have a singing partner at last.

Hasta Luego,
Casiphia

0 comments: